Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Inspiration :: Braids and Peru



One of my favorite places I've ever been to is Peru. My husband and I traveled there last year and absolutely loved it. My two favorite things from the trip were probably the ceviche and the way the women in the city of Cusco dressed.

The ceviche was amazing! We went to a great restaurant in Lima that I HIGHLY recommend if anyone ever plans on going called Pescados Capitales. We wanted to eat there for breakfast lunch and dinner every day of our lives, it was so good.

And the women in Cusco all had a sort of uniform that they wore so well! It always consisted of a brimmed hat, a buttoned cardigan over a blouse or shirt, a full skirt sometimes with a longer white laced skirt worn underneath that went just below the knees, thick-knee-high socks and simple flat shoes. To top it all off though, a lot of women wore their hair in braids like in the picture above - usually two long braids that connected at the bottom and created a U shape.

I was OBSESSED - I'm still obsessed! I bought a hat and 3 skirts while there because I so badly wanted to be like them. I plan on braiding my hair like that now that it's long enough. They even sold yarn braids at the markets which connected their braids together into the U shape but I didn't buy any of those.

I marked the photo from a runway show a few months ago because it reminded me of the Peruvian women's hair. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the original source, so if anyone can recognize the model or designer please let me know. The Peru photos are all from the flickr stream of a lovely photographer named Kylie who used to live in Peru and also happens to be a triplet. She and her sisters have a blog called The Traveling Triplets.

graphics designed by Becca Clason

3 comments:

archives vintage said...

YES! we went to Peru a few years ago and is definitely on my top two favorite places ever. looking forward to going back some day and exploring more of that gorgeous country!

i just chopped off 10 inches of hair on a whim last week, and have regretted it sorely. now i wanna do these cool braids! ugh.

bex said...

Oh man. I also loved Peru and the outfits those ladies were rocking. They were also way ahead of the neon curve - lots of bright pink and blue sweaters.

Amy said...

I've always wanted to go to Peru! Have you tried a "reverse image search" for the runway photo?
http://www.google.com/insidesearch/searchbyimage.html

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...