Thursday, July 5, 2012

Inspiration :: Frida Kahlo



Frida Kahlo is one of my favorite artists. I remember seeing the painting Self-Portrait with Cropped Hair at the MoMa a few years ago and completely falling in love with it. In the painting, she is wearing her ex-husband’s suit and her freshly-cut hair is scattered on the floor around her. The text above her says: "Look, if I loved you it was because of your hair. Now that you are without hair, I don't love you anymore." You can read more about it here.

I'm not sure if she actually cut her hair off after divorcing Diego Rivera (they later remarried), but I feel like that is something many women can relate to. I can't even begin to count the number of times I had clients sit in my chair at the salon and say they had just gone through a big change in their lives and felt like they needed a new haircut to go along with it. It's a way to start fresh, to have a new beginning and be a new person. I love that even though hair is just hair, it can also be such a powerful part of one’s identity.

I cut my hair into a pixie shortly after starting my job at the Bumble and Bumble flagship salon in New York. It was definitely a new beginning in my life and my new haircut made it feel official. Have any of you ever cut your hair after a big change in your life?

7 comments:

therecomesayes said...

I did last year. It was a couple months after I was in a major accident, but I hobbled over to Bumble and Bumble (still wearing a back brace!) and got a bob. My hair had been down to my chest. It felt very symbolic.

Svenja said...

I did not cut it but let it grow. Last year I let my hair grow (before I had worn a bob for over two years).
It was actually just a few months after I had got my first job which was great besides that my team leader is a crazy bitch and gave me a hard time. Then I decided that I had to change my life during the following year.
Now my hair is long and I finally became brave enough to quit the job. :)

Lost In Cheeseland said...

I used to cut my hair every summer as a kid - a sort of salve from the heat. Now, I don't think I could bear to do it but I did opt for some side bangs when I felt I needed to change things up! I've never colored my hair... perhaps that's next?

Marci Joy said...

You taught me "hair is hair" when you chopped off that long hair of mine into a bob. I totally embraced it and it felt like a new chapter of my life.

Go Frida!

Krista said...

I did last year. I had always had very long hair - at least half way down my back. It was always sort of a security blanket for me. I was the girl with the long, blonde hair. The idea of getting it cut even a few inches honestly terrified me, so I decided I should do it just to show that I could. So I did. I got it cut into a longer bob, and I ended up liking it. While it was "just hair" it symbolized a lot to me about a new chapter in my life, and freedom from fear.

Krista
www.blondeaesthetic.com

michelle said...

Reminds me of the show Felicity when she (played by Keri Russell) chopped her hair off at the beginning of season 2 when she and her boyfriend Ben broke up. It was HUGE!

kesh and tim's house on a hill said...

I have been brunette all my life and after having my first baby in May I needed a hair change! I opted for a colour over a cut (didn't need my still pregnant face emphasized by a short cut). I went blonde, then lavender and now coral :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...