Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Tutorial :: Loosely Curled Chignon

I love loose, wavy up-dos. They're quite versatile and I think they are so romantic on brides. This one is especially versatile because it can be done with short hair (as long as you have some length on the top), layered hair, and curly hair (which is great because you can skip the curling iron steps, although I'd probably enhance a few pieces).

Here's what you need:
- 1" Curling Iron
- Hair pins
- Bobbi Pins
- Hairspray

Prep your hair by spraying hair spray all over it and brushing it through twice to have a texture that can easily be molded into this style. I cannot stress this enough guys, you need that "dirty" texture in order for your hair to hold a curl and to achieve a hairstyle like this.

1. Separate a section of hair at the top of your head and clip it out of the way.
2. Curl all of the rest of your hair in whichever direction you'd like. This doesn't need to have a rhyme or reason to it because it is just to give your hair texture.
3. Once it is all curled, separate the curled hair into two equal sections (left and right) and twist them until you reach your ends.
4. Keep twisting them together and overlap the two sections over and over to create a loose bun at the back of your head.
5. Pin the bun in place using strong bobby pins. Don't make it too tight on the sides.
6. Take down the section of hair at the top of your head and curl it all going back and away from your face.
7. Loosely separate the curls with your fingers.
8. Bring the curled hair at the top of your head back towards your bun and twist the ends so you can pin it into place.
9. Loosely pin the top section towards the back using hair pins. The look should be loose and have a little bit more volume at the top than on the sides.

photographer: Valerie Dray
graphics designed by Becca Clason for She Lets Her Hair Down

8 comments:

Lexy @ The Proper Pinwheel said...

Okay, you are way too pretty and so is this hair! I'm wearing the milk maid braids today, and they look okay, but they need your touch. :)

The Slow Pace said...

Beautiful... and you make it look so easy... I'm sure that if I try at least one of my ears will be burned and my scalp will suffer for severe bobby pin damage! :-)

Heather said...

Do you have a recommendation for brand of pins?

rubi said...

Heather,

Yes, I linked to my favorite brands under "Here's what you need:"

kayleekoenig said...

Do you prefer a curling wand or a regular curling iron? I want to buy a nice curling apparatus [haha] since my last $10 iron broke and am at a loss for which kind to get!

rubi said...

kayleekoenig,

I prefer regular curling irons. My favorite is linked in this tutorial under "Here's what you need" and it's less than $30!

Kenny said...

I'm always fascinated when I see a woman letting her hair down, then putting it up again )) Lovely photos!

kayleemarie said...

oh by the way, thank you, rubi :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...