Monday, July 1, 2013

The Best Haircut for YOUR Face Shape


One of my most-viewed blog posts is about what haircut is best for someone with a round face. It kind of bugs me though because while I still love that email my reader sent (Have you read it? It's hilarious) - I'm so sick of people sticking within these boxes that someone made up saying you can only wear your hair in certain ways because of your face shape.

Yes, I know it's true that certain lines are most flattering on certain face shapes, but I feel like when people ask me what haircut they should get for a round face (because let's be honest EVERYONE thinks they have a round face), they're looking for me to give them a quick answer like, "Get Zooey Deschanel bangs with hair that goes down to here and layers that go down to there." I don't work like that. I cut hair to look good on my clients’ faces but I don't use a formula that says "round face + curly hair = haircut number 25."

Instead, what I find exciting is seeing every client’s specific hair texture, wave pattern, facial features, their amazing cheekbones, eyes, or tiny forehead, that rad cowlick on the back of their neck, or those baby hairs at their front hairline that just never seem to grow. I love that kind of stuff! It inspires me to create a style specifically for them and that (most importantly) fits their LIFESTYLE. That may mean they wash their hair once a week and let it air dry, or put it up in a bun every day because of their job, or blow dry it and curl it every single day because that's just how they are. I think women should get their hair cut to suit more than just their face shape.

So, please stop asking me (and your hairstylist) what haircut you should have if you have a triangle face or a round face.... Instead, tell me what your daily hair routine is, what your hair texture is like, what you love and hate about your hair, and we'll go from there. Kapish?

p.s. do you like how I tricked you with the title of this post? hahaha

10 comments:

Marci Joy said...

Ha ha ha! I love this post.

Damn,that's said...

Thank you! Thats what most women need: a bit of individuality. I want a hairstyle of my own and not a celebs lookalike or what might be flattering (who decides that anyway) for me :)

k. said...

I just moved to Philadelphia, and OH how I wish it were easier to find stylists like you.

Nadia said...

Sneaky, you sure tricked me!!! I can't wait to get my haircut by you this December!

redfox said...

I am definitely under no illusion that my face is round! Long, like a long long long thing, that's me.

Lizzi said...

Your description of how you are inspired to cut a persons hair made me want to become a hair cutter :) For like the billionth time! I love this post. :)

Smith said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Emily said...

The best haircuts I've had (and can count them on 3 fingers) have been from hairdressers who ask personal questions: what is your style? how much time do you spend on your hair? is today a good or bad day for your hair?

Actually the best, and most adventurous haircut I had was by a friend who is quite in tune to "auras" and personal style. I trusted her and she didn't disappoint. I loved the heavy bangs (with curly hair I would NEVER have tried) and curl flattering layers she gave me.

I take this approach when visiting new hairdressers (I move a lot so being loyal to one is hard) and totally over-share on my hair and tastes in the hope they'll consider that before cutting :)

Emily (cape town, South Africa)

johann said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
luthor ambrose said...

I have read your blog story, its very tremendous writing skills saw in your blog, just keep writing for us...

hair salon jersey city

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...