Monday, October 21, 2013

Men and Our Hair


"Look, if I loved you it was because of your hair. Now that you are without hair, I don't love you anymore." - Self-Portrait with Cropped Hair, Frida Khalo

Do men prefer long hair? Do men prefer brunettes or blondes? Do men hate bangs?

Guess what? I don't care what women's hairstyles men like. As a hairstylist, I know what a big deal hair is in a woman's life and honestly, it makes me cringe a little every time I hear a woman say they are changing their hair (or not changing it) based on their significant other's preference.

Why do we care what not only men, but anyone else in general thinks about our hair? Hair is a really amazing form of self-expression, and I think we should all take ownership of it. Who cares if you want to buzz your head and your boyfriend wants you to have hair down to your butt? Being beautiful is about how you feel, not how others feel about you. That means that if you want bangs, get them. If you don't want them don't get them, but don't base your hairstyle on what your boyfriend likes or doesn't.

8 comments:

Kacey said...

Amen sista! I've gone from shoulder length to pixie and back again more times than I can count, with pixie being the current style. My sweet husband says I've never had a bad hairstyle- but I'd cut it and grow it whether he liked it or not! ;)

Carolynn Markey said...

I dislike this to, but I think getting others opinions before you go in for the big chop or make a decision is a great idea also! I always ask my husband and my mom for their two cents before I make the final decision. :)

Carolynn Markey said...

hmm, that was supposed to be I "like" this to. Thank you, iphone, thank you. *sorry*

Kelsey said...

Yesss I love this! I was just thinking how much the previous post reminded me of Frida.....

Josephine Leung said...

Well said! I remember when I was little, my mom asked me if I liked having long hair or if I would like to have super-short hair. Right away, I chose super-short "boy" hair. She said boys don't like girls with short hair, and I said I don't care what they like. It's my hair and I can do what I want with it.

rubi said...

Josephine,

Love that! Plus, little girls with super short "boy" hair are so cute!

Chelsea said...

yes, yes, yes!!! thank you!!!

Hillary said...

ok ok ok ok ok ok ok i will get bangs.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...